Monday, June 20, 2011

New bike build part 1

After several years of using an old frame, I've finally been able to get a brand new one.  I'm really stoked about this project. 

First, my current bike.  It's a mid 80's Bianchi Volpe.  I bought it from a guy on Craigslist for a very reasonable price.  I repainted and replaced a few items, and here is what it now looks like -


It's been a great bike for three years.  But I wanted a new project, and getting a lighter frame for cheap was the perfect opportunity.  Many of the items for this new bike I can use off of my current ride, but I did buy some new items as well.  A new headset was out of necessity, since the current bike is using a 1" fork,  and the current standard is 1 1/8". 

I went with the Nashbar touring frame.  Made from aluminum, and for only $100, I couldn't pass it up.


Shipment 1
Not much padding used to ship this with, but it arrived alright.

 Paint job is darker than I thought, but a nice quality job.  Look like it'll sparkle in bright sunlight.

 Not to worry, Mame - this frame has passed

The rear derailleur on my current bike has just about had it.  Nashbar's branded derailleurs were at a very nice price, so I decided to replace both.  I was quite surprised to see how nice the quality was when I inspected it.  Also bought some cable hangers since I'm running cantilever brakes.  I considered running dual pivot brakes instead, but decided not to for now.

A few other odds and ends that I needed.  The headset is a FSA Pig, which is meant to be used on a BMX bike.  From the reviews I read, this headset is a very good performer for the price that it is.  I'm all about value.  Had no idea how many headset spacers I would need, so I went with the safe bet and bought a pack of 10.  The items on the far right are "downtube housing stops", needed for running STI shifters on a frame with downtube shifter bosses.  I never knew such an item existed until now.

Now I've got to wait for the fork.  It's unfortunately on backorder for a while.  So for now the frame sits in the shipping box in my garage.  More about this build when the fork arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment