Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lake Hodges/Del Dios loop

I've always see the Del Dios highway on maps, and it looked like a good way to get around when I'm up North.  I was finally able to ride it last week.  As usual when I'm checking out new territory, it took me 1.5 times longer than it should have.  I also got a bit lost even though I had a map.  The street names on the map weren't the same as what they were in reality.

This weekend I decided to ride the same route, but in reverse.  Went much better this time around.  The fog was really thick at 6:30 in morning (which will only get worse as winter sets in) .  At some points I could only see about 50 feet in front of me.  So the beginning was slower than usual. 

The nice part of this route is going past Lake Hodges.  You can see the dam from the road on the West side.  The tail part I ended going past my work and riding the same route as I always do going to work.  I wanted to head down South a bit more and ride the 56 bike path.  But I was running late and had an appointment to get to. 

The route is fairly flat, with a few short climbs along the way.  Typically when I travel this far I'm completely wiped out afterwards.  But I actually felt really good afterwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment