Saturday, September 10, 2011

BLEH!

I decided to head out to Ramona again this morning.  It's a great challenge, hard to get lost on, and is close to home. Knowing that my legs were going to get over strained on this ride, I should have prepared for this ride better this morning.  I only has some water, a peach and an apple before heading out.  Well, I paid the price for my foolishness.  On the way back home, I could feel my calves starting to seize if I pushed it too hard.  I had plenty of electrolytes and water, just not enough nutrition to meet this kind of challenge. 

My average speed was about 1.5 mph slower than last time.  Which is a significant difference spread over a 40 mile course.  Although my max speed was the fastest it's ever been on this course (39.5 mph).

Then to make matters even worse, I got stung by a bee at the most inconvenient time.  I was starting my decent down the Poway grade (heading West), and then POW a big stinging hurt came over my inner right thigh.  Thankfully I was able to keep my cool and slow down quick enough with traffic passing by me with little shoulder on the side.  The bee was still attached, so I pulled it off.  Good thing I'm not allergic to bees, or I would have been in a world of hurt.  Good thing I only had about 5 miles left, because the pain interfered with my peddling.  The stinging still bothers me 12 hours after it happened. 

My body started to bonk the last two miles, but I made it home safely.  After taking a shower, I proceeded to take a nap.  I probably would have slept all day long if I didn't have so many things left to be done. 

Well, at least I can say that I did go out and ride today. 

1 comment: