Saturday, August 13, 2011

Stats about my new bike

I had forgotten to post this one for about a month.  Soon after I finished building up my new bike, I wanted to run the same course I did one month previous on my old steel bike.  The course was a fairly challenging one for me, going from Poway to Ramona and back.  Plenty of mountain hills to conquer.  I mainly wanted to see if the lighter weight would have any affect in the overall time and effort I put in.


The software that came with my Garmin (called 'training center') is a pretty decent piece of software.  It's what I use to create the charts that I've posted previously.  It also can send the GPS information it collected during a ride to Google Earth, which give me a pretty accurate map of the ride. 

First, the map.  I started to ascend on Scripts Poway Parkway to the 67. It has a smoother grade than Poway road.  Then into Ramona to the stage building.  I came back down on Poway road instead to save some time.  Poway road is much more scenic than SPParkway.  Although I was descending down so fast that I wasn't able to enjoy the scenery as I should have been.


Comparing the pace -

The purple line is the 'older' time.  Supposing that my fitness level stayed pretty much the same both trips, my pace was better on the new bike.  I did notice there wasn't as much road vibration, thanks to the carbon fork.  I might have been able to do even better, but I still wasn't too used to the bike and didn't know all of it's nuances. 


So just simply based off of this one set of data, I can tell that this new bike outperforms my old one.  Good investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment